Permanent Resident

There are two types of residency statuses under the Minister of Justice’s “Permanent Resident Notification": “Notified" and “Notified Outside" residency. Let’s briefly define each activity.

  • Notified Residency: Activities of individuals who have a predetermined status based on the Permanent Resident Notification.
  • Notified Outside Residency: Activities that do not fall under the activities of individuals with a predetermined status based on the Permanent Resident Notification, but qualify for the residency status of “Permanent Resident."

Operationally, while applications for the issuance of a residence qualification certificate (for foreigners residing abroad applying for residency qualifications) are permitted for Notified Residency, they are not permitted for Notified Outside Residency. Hence, it is considered to be intended for individuals already residing in Japan. Nevertheless, even if residing overseas, it is also possible to apply after coming to Japan on a visa for short-term stays.


About Notified Outside Residency

Here, we will introduce particularly common cases of Notified Outside Residency. While this page provides brief introductions, detailed explanations are provided on each respective page.

Recognized Refugees

Those recognized as refugees through refugee applications can obtain the residency status of “Permanent Resident." However, given Japan’s refugee recognition rate is said to be 0.1%, encountering individuals recognized as refugees is extremely rare.

Individuals Continuing to Reside in Japan after Divorce from a Japanese, “Permanent Resident," or Special Permanent Resident Spouse

This is commonly referred to as “divorce residency," with the main condition being that “a normal marital and family relationship has generally continued for three years or more." It’s essential to note the aspect of “normal" marital and family relationships continuing for three years or more, which is distinct from the legal marital period.

Individuals Wishing to Continue Residing in Japan after the Death of a Japanese, “Permanent Resident," or Special Permanent Resident Spouse

This is referred to as “widow(er) residency." Similar to divorce residency, the main condition is that “a normal marital and family relationship has generally continued for three years or more."

Individuals Whose Marital Relationship with a Japanese, “Permanent Resident," or Special Permanent Resident Has Effectively Broken Down and Who Wish to Continue Residing in Japan

While the legal marital relationship remains valid, if both spouses no longer intend to continue the marriage, cohabitation and mutual support activities have effectively ceased, and this condition persists, it is recognized as the “effective breakdown of the marital relationship."

This also requires a main condition of “a normal marital and family relationship generally continuing for three years or more."

Individuals Guardianship or Raising Japanese Children

If it is necessary to care for and raise children between a Japanese national and a spouse who has divorced or died, even if the marital period is less than three years, they qualify as “Permanent Residents."

Individuals Whose Residency Qualification as a Japanese Spouse or Equivalent Ended Due to Dissolution of Adoption and Who Possess Sufficient Assets or Skills to Support Themselves

Foreigners who obtained residency qualifications as a “Japanese spouse or equivalent" due to Japanese “special adoption" and have dissolved the special adoption may qualify for “Permanent Resident" if they have stable employment or income.

This requires economic independence, so if support is received from overseas biological parents after dissolving the special adoption, it does not qualify.

However, if supported by biological parents or new foster parents in Japan, the new foster parents must have the capacity to support.

Individuals Who, After Receiving a Non-Recognition Decision for Refugee Status, Were Granted a One-Year Residency Period under “Specific Activities" Considering Special Circumstances and Changed Their Residency Status to “Permanent Resident"

This is known as “non-recognized refugees engaging in specific activities residency."

Although not recognized as refugees, individuals with special circumstances allowing them to stay in Japan may be granted residency under “Specific Activities." After staying in this status for three years or more, they may be able to change their residency status to “Specific Activities."

Minors Whose Parents Have Already Returned Home or Are Missing, or Minors Who Have Suffered Child Abuse

This might be a visa for children without guardians, but the application process, including establishing a nurturing environment, is quite challenging.

Individuals Who Were Previously “Permanent Residents" as “Notified Permanent Residents"

For example, if someone obtained “Permanent Resident" status as the child of a permanent resident, Japanese spouse, or spouse of a permanent resident, and later becomes a “Japanese spouse or equivalent" due to marriage, there is a possibility of reverting to the original “Permanent Resident" status.

“Permanent Residents" Whose Reentry Permit Expiration Passed While Abroad

Even for permanent residents, if the reentry permit expires while abroad and they fail to reenter Japan within the specified period, they become unable to reenter. In this case, even for Notified Outside Residency, there is a possibility of applying for residency qualification certificate issuance, allowing them to apply for residency qualification.

Individuals Who Entered with Their Parents under “Family Stay" or “Official" Status, Completed Compulsory Education in Japan, Graduated from High School, and Wish to Work Exceeding the Scope of Permission for Activities beyond Qualifications in Japan

Specifically, those who entered Japan under “family stay" or “official" status during primary school, graduated from a Japanese high school, and wish to work can apply for a change in residency status to “Permanent Resident."

Unmarried Minors Living on the Support of Japanese Third-Generation Parents, Who Are Returning Home, But Want to Continue Their Stay While Studying in Japan

This pertains to cases where children of permanent residents become “Permanent Residents" themselves, and their parents are returning home. If suitable guardianship and accommodation expense methods are confirmed, “Permanent Resident" status may continue to be granted.